Welcome Shearwaters


INVITATION TO CONTRIBUTE
Shearwaters return
CURRENT EXHIBITION
October 2013



Welcome Shearwaters.

While the weather whistles and taps outside
bringing shearwaters back
I thought
we could 'sing'* them home with images
sounds
anything
about on inspired by these resilient 
incredible birds?

Along the way 
I've learned their
hearts enlargen,
their stomachs shrink
and they travel 10,000 km
from Siberia to Australia
every year and back again
to lay their eggs in rookeries along the south eastern
coast.
Same nest
every year.

Last year I heard the chirping young in their nest for the first time.
Found several broken eggs.
Two years before,
a new resident to Phillip Island,
I thought I had hit one on the road
and drew this drawing (above) for it.
I bought this knitted shearwater for edith's first birthday at the local CWA in Cowes.
and knitted the eggs for it.
Edie puts them in her mouth
now,
the eggs.


shearwater having teeth brushed by edith. may 2013.

Would love to post your shearwater works and reflections too.

Warmth,
Sarah

(ref: *Singing the Coast by Somerville and Perkins 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment